Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Is it safe to make payments by Escrow.com? In the uk, We’ve

Is it safe to make payments by Escrow.com?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In the uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We’ve agreed a price for the vehicle and escrow have now sent us a payment invoice for the amount agreed with the seller. We have bank details to make the payment to, but the account name doesn’t mention escrow and looks like a persons name.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Supposedly after payment the vehicle will be delivered within 48 hours and we have 7 days to inspect and accept or reject the vehicle before payment is made to seller or the vehicle is collected for return

Hello, I’m Ben. It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Please provide me with the seller's details and any other information you may have, including email and / or telephone numbers

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
The seller is Dr Allison Haigler, email is***@******.*** The vehicle was advertised on Facebook Marketplace
We’ve had extensive email exchanges checking details of the vehicle. She is selling the vehicle after a recent divorce and is currently working as a medic in Germany.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please leave it with me and I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience, I am pleased to be able to continue assisting with your query now.

Can I please just check the email address from which the escrow company have contacted you about this?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. This is clearly a scam and you should not proceed any further. The emails from the escrow company have nothing to do with a legitimate company and are not from Escrow.com – they are from a private email address using the consultant.com domain, which is not official (anyone can open an email there). What would happen is you would send the money to what you believe is an independent and safe escrow account, when in fact you are not dealing with a legitimate escrow company but a fraudster and sending the money directly to them. You won’t get the vehicle and will lose your money.

In order to report this, you should contact Action Fraud (The National Fraud and Cyber Crime Reporting Centre), by calling 0300(###) ###-####or online: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help, you’ve saved my daughter several thousand pounds. We will report this to Action Fraud as you suggested with full details from on Market Place and our communications. We had become a little suspicious so we contacted you for advise. Unfortunately we gave the fraudster our email, address and mobile phone number as part of the preparation process.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that, they would not have wanted your personal details, only your money so it is unlikely there will be any repercussions