ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I am looking publish a magazine with 1200 subscribers. I

Hi, I am looking publish a magazine with 1200 subscribers. I would like to include a range of images from 1970s onwards. Are these subject to copyright?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom, images are from Australian magazines
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here.My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. I may also be that I am in court. I will however email you with a response before the end of the day. I ask therefore that you await a response.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry.

The law in the UK with respect to images is that copyright it lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years from the end of the calendar year of their death. I have done some research in the Australian legal position which appears to be the same as the UK. You would therefore have to check when the author of the image passed away in order to establish whether permission is needed in order to use the images.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for you answer. Would the same apply to these images being placed on a website aswell?

Yes it would also apply.