How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3115
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Looking for advice on E2 visa application for move to USA

This answer was rated:

Hi there. Looking for advice on E2 visa application for move to USA from UK with my business.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: Live in UK. British citizenship. Haven't filed anything as yet because trying to make sure the E2 is the correct option and also looking into tax with various accountants to make sure everything will work going forward
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the E-2 visa?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Don't think so
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi, welcome to JA, I am Readylaw one of legal experts here.My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. I may also be that I am in court. I will however email you with a response before the end of the day. I ask therefore that you await a response.
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3115
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
ReadyLaw and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can we kindly schedule a call in the next 2- 3 hours as I am getting into a court session just now?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
What time?

Having reviewed your requirements, this appears to be outside my area of expertise. I will unfortunately have to opt out and allow an expert more knowledgeable in the area to respond. I will also ask for a US attorney to assist. Please do not respond as this will delay the process.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

What exactly would you like to know about the E2 visa ?

I actually have this myself.

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

The E2 visa is a nonimmigrant classification treaty investor visa.

The investor must have invested, or be actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States.

The two important words used here are investment and substantial.

Investment,  is the treaty investor’s placing of capital, that can including funds and/or other assets, at risk in the commercial sense with the objective of generating a profit in the business investment. The capital must be subject to partial or total loss if the investment business fails.

Substantial amount of capital. There is no actual amount that must be invested.

USCIS state,

A substantial amount of capital is:

Substantial in relationship to the total cost of either purchasing an established enterprise or establishing a new one

Sufficient to ensure the treaty investor’s financial commitment to the successful operation of the enterprise

Of a magnitude to support the likelihood that the treaty investor will successfully develop and direct the enterprise. The lower the cost of the enterprise, the higher, proportionately, the investment must be to be considered substantial.

Some would suggest that investments around $80-$100K would be required. I have known investments for far less be granted and others far more refused as it does depend on the type of business that is being invested or purchased.

The E2 visa is applied for at the US consulate in London. You need to be fully and completely sure the application is ready for your face to face interview, if the Consulate rejects the application, it is non appealable. You would need be able to make a new application.

If the visa is granted, then it can be issued for a maximum of 5 years. Although you would be expected to leave and reenter after two years. May pop over to the Bahamas for a weekend.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.