Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I have prepared a free hour’s talk on History of the

I have prepared a free hour’s talk on History of the Telephone to present to my fellow members of a local Men’s Group of about 30 members. It would make it far more interesting and informative if I could include about 50 relevant photos copied from Google Images from 1876 to the 1980’s into a Powerpoint presentation.These will mainly be images of telephones, pole routes. manual telephone exchanges etc
It is so difficult to be sure whether each individual photo is copyright free. The rules are so complex and much of the online guidance refers to US law. Obviously I do not want to incur licence costs or break the law. Can I copy and paste any Google image into a Powerpoint display?
I shall not accept any fee so it will be ‘not for profit’, will be educational for members, will not be used commercially and will only be used on one occasion. Will my situation qualify for ‘fair use’ and not infringe copyright law? I would be very grateful for your advice.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Devon, england
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None - I tried to read copyright laws but it is not easy
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1.  There is an exemption to UK Copyright legislation where material is used "for educational purposes".  So, you would be allowed to use these photos so long as you are doing so for educational purposes of your Men's Group.  So, in your situation, where it is not for profit, where it is educational for members of your Men's Group, where there is no commercial objective and there will only be one occasion of use, qualifies as being for educational purposes.  However, you should not distribute the Powerpoint presentation after you have used it for the talk, because then the use of it, might not be just educational.  So, confine your use to the Powerpoint presentation for members.

2. If you require clarification or if you wish to share additional information, I will  be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much - it was the answer that I was hoping for! Can you please cancel my trial asap