How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15493
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My wife recently pass away I then got a message on her phone

This answer was rated:

Hi Jim my wife recently pass away I then got a message on her phone stating she was £70 in arrears with a company called hoist finance. I phoned them to inform them that she had passed they would not share any data with me due to protection . However I also found a statement in the house from them showing an outstanding statement for £4500 the load I know nothing about as its in her maiden name and she hid it from me . I do not know what it was used for. I have asked her sister who doesn't know either. Am I responsible for it as I have signed nothing or even knew about it
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Durham area
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoke to them twice to say she had passed and they were going to send me a kettee. Rhus never arrived so I just phoned them to ask why but the lady said I had all ready reported this. I said I can forward a copy of the death cert this she has agreed with I then asked what next as I have not signed anything for this loan. She said it will go to another ddp.that was it so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm also looking after my wife's and my estate

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of your loss and of the situation.
Any money owed would be a debt, which is the responsibility of your late Wife's estate - it would need to be paid off from any available cash or assets and the executor should attend to this.

I am not sure if you are the executor and whether there was a valid will in place. The debt is not inherited meaning you and any other family members would not then be liable the money owed. The executor should write to the parties who the debt is owed and ask for an up to date statement of what is actually owed. You can send a copy of the death certificate to them.
If there is a direct debt for the finance, the executor should ensure this is stopped so prevent further payments being made.

If she had any life insurance, the executor should contact the life insurance provider as soon as possible as the debt may be covered under the terms of the policy.
To answer your question, you are not responsible for the money, no.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you I am the executor of her est but it was paid through her acc at the Lloyd's this I closed down straight away following the message. There was no will made out

Apologies, I can’t take a call at the moment but other experts are free to contact you. If no one calls you then you will not be charged for it - an "authorisation" has been made for payment, that's all. However, the call request is open to all experts so will remain available until it’s either taken by another expert or if you cancel it. If you would like to cancel the call and the charge, customer services can be contacted either by email (*****@******.***) or here:

Thanks, ***** ***** was no will then the laws of intestacy would prevail meaning her next of kin inherits (yourself), then any children, etc.
As for the finance, let me know if you need any more guidance with this.

JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you