How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3755
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I wonder if you can help me. My ex husband wants our

This answer was rated:

Hi, I wonder if you can help me. My ex husband wants our daughter yo attend private school. He earns £400 a week on paper and I can't afford it. I asked how it would be paid for and he said by his family. Am I obliged legally to accept this money ? It would be 13 years of funding and I've asked for a written guarantee. It has also come yo light that he expects me to contribute to her private education in regards ***** ***** train tickets etc. The school he wants her to go to would entail 280 miles per week for our 5 year old daughter. I feel this is unhealthy for our daughter. It would also be double these miles for me per week so 540 miles a week. What do you think ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lowestoft
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Visiting schools, email exchanges with ex. I have said I won't consent to her attending this particular school he wants her too
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not at the moment

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK. Thanl you

Thank you for the question.

The simple answer is no there is no legal way for them to enforce this at all.  The only way this is possible is for them to get a court order.   If however, you do wish to agree to this, then you and your ex-partner can come to an agreement of how fees would be met etc.   If you decide to go down this route, I would strongly advise that you obtain an agreement in writing so you don’t end up liable for any unpaid fees should that be the case.  So long as you are both in agreement that is fine, but they have no legal right to enforce this without court order.  I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Good morning, thank you for your response. It has provided me with a good understanding of the situation. I am assuming this also applies to my daughter being expected by her father to travel 56 miles a day to get to his preferred school? Besides the issue it would be extremely exhausting for her, physically, emotionally and mentally, I simply cannot do it as I am a single working mum and would potentially lose my job, and also it would be extremely exhausting for me too but obviously my main concern is our daughter. We have a joint lived with order, my ex husband is in London and I'm in Lowestoft. However, our daughter spends 90% of her time with me, in your opinion how do you think a court would view his proposal in light of our child's health and well-being, and the surrounding circumstances? Thank you for your time, I very much appreciate it.

Again, unless there is a court order to state any of these there is no obligation.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
OK, thank you very much for your help with my issue.