Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

If I have been called before a Club committee for speaking

If I have been called before a Club committee for speaking out of turn, may I request copies of evidence and statements before that meeting or is that not my legal right? Thank you
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Guisborough, North Yorkshire UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That similar offences have not be dealt with in the same manner

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

Could you please elaborate on the issue ? if there is ongoing proceeding against you or you have been asked to give statement as part of investigation ?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
To elaborate, on the 16th October I am accused of unacceptable behaviour as I spoke out about club proceedings, only speaking the truth but yes in an unacceptable way ( I swore twice) as i am passionate about the club surviving.
I received a letter a few days later to say I was not to visit the club while the matter was being investigated, and that my cleaning duties were to end herewith. I had already resigned from my cleaning duties the day before. Then 2 weeks later I received another letter requesting my statement. I sent that into the office but the secretary didn't pick it up for 2 weeks after. I then receive a third letter with a club rule book included, asking me to attend a meeting on my conduct. I am wondering if I am able to request copies of the other evidence/statements to help me prepare for the meeting. To also add I was only speaking the truth about another discriminatory act carried out by the said committee whereby victimization occurred in regard to the stewardess at a previous meeting. There have been many situations in this club where bad language and unacceptable behaviour have not been dealt with appropriately and of course that doesn't make it right. I feel I am being partly victimised for speaking the truth. I feel I have already done my time, 5+ weeks so far of not being able to go in the club. How do I stand? To add there are several members who think I have been treated badly plus 2 members of the committee have now since resigned saying it is a with hunt... I hold my hands up for the swearing twice, but for speaking the truth which needed to come out, I accept whatever they do to me.

Hi there,

Employees have the right under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (retained from EU Regulation 2016/679 EU) to request access to information about them that is held on file, whether manually or on computer.

and in an disciplinary proceeding, employer is required to provide details of the complaint received with evidence .

The ACAS code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures, provides that employer should provide employee with copies of any written evidence with the notification of the disciplinary hearing.

you can ask from your employer, copy of evidence /statements before your meeting.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
As I resigned as an employee, I am now attending the meeting as a club member, so does that advice still stand in that case or is the law different with regard to club members...

Above advice is for employees only,

As a member of the club, you do not have a legal right to have copies of evidence before you attend the meeting.

You would have to rely on the terms of the membership of your club to know your rights as a club member.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay thank you very much

You are welcome. Best wishes.