Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

Received a letter from" Silkin" about Illegal streaming and

Received a letter from "Lewis Silkin" about Illegal streaming and downloads via my IP Address that I have no knowledge about.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Northolt, UB5 location.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: called them to advise that I had no idea of what they were talking about where they have now sent me a letter to pay a settlement of £800+ which I refuse to do due to not committed any crime.
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I did some research and tried to find a download site but Virgin blocked them from UK use as far as I know.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

What exactly are they saying you have done?

and £800 for what exactly?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Settlement payment to avoid court proceedings.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Paying this to avoid court proceedings opens it up for more U.S companies to jump on the band wagon and I'm not about to become their cash cow because they're threatening my livelihood.

You should not ignore this.  However if you have not actually downloaded anything, then you have not committed any kind of infringement and the client is entitled to nothing.

You need to tell them that.

You need to tell them that you have no knowledge what they’re talking about and ask them to tell you what it is that you are alleged to download and on what date and then, you will get back to them.  Tell them that unless they refuse to tell you that, you cannot provide them with any further information and that if they proceed to court without giving you that information you will raise this correspondence as evidence of their clients unreasonable and premature behaviour and you will ask the court to award costs against their client.

Ultimately, if you haven’t downloaded anything, they cannot produce any evidence.  They are probably on a fishing exercise.

Don’t try to deal with this on the telephone, you will be wasting your time.  All your responses need to be in writing.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have