How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3756
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Are landlords responsible for keeping paths/yards in a safe

This answer was rated:

Are landlords responsible for keeping paths/yards in a safe condition or is it the tenants responsibility?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Northumberland. NE13 6DB
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Complained about the state of both the paths & courtyard & estate secretary said we could repair it at our expense
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We live on a private estate owned by Lord Ridley.. I' m sure he is unaware of the condition but it's difficult to get passed the secretary & estate manager

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
That ‘s fine . I just need to know whose responsibility it is as our paths are ‘an accident waiting o happen!’

Thank you for the question.  Assuming the landlord is not accepting responsibility for this, you will want to check your lease agreement.   There may be an express term in these stating who is responsible for this.   If that is not the case, then I would advise that you escalate the matter to the property ombudsman, they will act independently and may be able to provide remedy.  However, if that is not the case, you could potentially look at a small claims action to enforce these to be fixed by the landlord or recover the costs of doing so.  Prior to intimating small claim proceedings, you will require to send a letter to the respondent.  It is a simple letter stating that if they do remedy the matter as you have outlined (in the same letter), you will take legal action against them.  This is referred to as a. pre-action protocol letter.  You can complete the forms for a claims action easily online.  You will have to highlight what the issues are and tell them how much you are claiming for, to be honest the first are straight forward and self-explanatory.   If you feel you can do this yourself then you don’t really need to hire a solicitor, but I will provide details for you in case you feel you want to.  You will then receive a response to the claim and a court date.  On the day (unless they offer a settlement) you will appear at the local court and basically provide your evidence and give you claim to the judge, and they will response.  The judge will assess the merits of the claim and defence and make a judgement this should be relatively easy for you to prove so the respondent may well offer a settlement in the meantime.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is here;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the future, please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Thank you . Could you please cancel my membership now.