james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Are double yellow lines on a private road legal and

are double yellow lines on a private road legal and enforceable by court action if I do not pay a fine £100, detailed in a letter sent , to me some two weeks after the event
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None I only received the letter two days for an incident on 10th November
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Only that the letter contained three photos of my car, in a road in which my friend lives who said it was okay to park whilst at his house
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

who issued you the fine and letter?

Is the road a private road or is it adopted by the council?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
1. It is a private road
2. Issued by District Enforcement Limited, PO Box 10418, Ashby de la Zouch LE65 9EJ
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I rather go via email please.

Who owns the road, your friend?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am not too sure about that

If your friend does not own the road, then he has no legal right to give you permission to park on there double yellow lines.

It appears to be a private issued ticket, so not a legally enforceable parking ticket like would be issued by the local authority.

A private issued parking ticket is basically like an invoice.

As you possible had no legal right to park there, if the legal owner of the road has employed a parking enforcement company to "police"the road, they can issue tickets.

Your options are to either pay the ticket, or refuse to pay and see what they do next.

Their option would be to take you to court for non payment, this would be the small claims court as the amount would be seen a s a debt.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Many thanks sound prudent advice, let's see as you say, what happens next.

Good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.