james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am wondering if Legal Aid can be used in a private

I am wondering if Legal Aid can be used in a private prosecution case for Domestic Violence ABH ?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Somerset, UK. The case is in Dorset, UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have just had a letter from the CPS. They are stopping the Crown Court Case. They did say there was sufficient evidence.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, not really.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Very sorry to say, but, NO, legal aid is not available for a private prosecution criminal case.

It is available for those facing Criminal charges not those wanting to bring a private case.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ah ok. The CPS discontinued my Domestic Violence ABH case. So, I can’t do anything about it?

Did they say why they discontinued the case? what stage was it at?

Unfortunately, without the additional information requested in my first/previous response, I will not be able to give you detailed advice to your question, but I will be able to give you a general answer, which I hope will be of assistance. If you are able to supply the additional information later, please do so and I will then come back to you with a more detailed answer.

You may find a firm willing to represent you pro bono.

The following two links will take you to where you may find solicitors who can assist, on either a free probono basis or on a no win no fee basis. Very often they deal with clients who cannot afford to pay for legal assistance and for whom legal aid is not available. www.nationalprobonocentre.org.uk/finding-legal-help. The second is www.lawworks.org.uk

I hope this helps.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I will try these firms. They used the fact that I could be seen as an unreliable witness. The Police Force had been victimising me and used that against me from spiteful, revengeful and malicious, unproven information from my Abuser. It’s a very long story!

Good luck.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Your welcome.