SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Can the council continue to harge me council Tax on a

Can the council continue to harge me council Tax on a building that burnt down in 2017
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In Glastonbury
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I informed the council at the relevant time however they continue to charge council Tax and have taken me to court in my absence and obtained liability orders and removal notices
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was stuck in the Gambia for 20months and returned 5th November i wrote to them on the 8 and again on the 22nd November and this morning a bailiff drop another threatening mail through my letter box

Hello welcome to Just answer.

I am a solicitor and It’s my pleasure to assist you today. I may also ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi good morning

Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal
representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is
formed.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No but I would like basic answers to my question please thanks

Thank you for your patience. If you have a Lease will normally state that you continue to be liable for the lease for the term of the lease even if there has been damage to the premises and as such council tax would continue to be payable. IF you are the freeholder and the building is not in use and yet to be repaired then you must formally apply for a freeze on your rates but if you do not do this they will continue to expect payment and will be entitled to it unfortunately. You must apply for it and try to have the exemption backdated.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send you message, I am glad to assist you going forward should you need any clarification. All the best.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi l did not get an answer to my question can you please send me the answer?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I previously stated that the timber building known as the chalet no longer exist and was totally destroyed.

goodday, If you have a Lease then it  will normally state that you continue to be liable
for the lease for the term of the lease even if there has been damage to
the premises
and as such council tax would continue to be payable.

If you are the freeholder and the building is not in use and yet to be
repaired
then you must formally apply for a freeze on your rates but if
you do not do this they will continue to expect payment and will be
entitled to it
unfortunately. You must apply for it and try to have the
exemption backdated