How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15403
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

BT incorrectly installed our telephone to the wrong

This answer was rated:

BT incorrectly installed our telephone to the wrong exchange. We have been complaining to them for over 3 weeks with no response.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We are in Devon - postcode EX20 4QH
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we have contacted BT and Openreach for 3 weeks for them to restore our telephone service which was removed by them when we got broadband. We were then reconnected with a different number to the wrong exchange.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the problem with BT.

There is a way to sort this out. You can apply to the telecommunications Ombudsman - which is free to use and is quicker than court action.

It is an arbitration scheme meaning the Ombudsman's decision is legally binding if you accept it.

You do have to make a formal complaint to BT first before you can avail of the Ombudsman though. The Ombudsman will not help until you have BTe's final decision which you now need to ask for.

You can allege breach of contract against BT (you have consumer rights here which have been infringed in my view).

You can make the complaint and ask them for the final response via this link:

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Communications Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with BT which would hopefully result in a resolution. They can also order the company to make a financial award if they have acted poorly.

The service is covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 so you have a right to expect a reasonable service - if they do not provide that then the regulator will step in but it also means you can sue for any damages or losses incurred as a result o BT's conduct.

You can escalate to the Ombudsman here:
Or by email:***@******.***

If you have lost any money then you could sue BT but the court may consider that to be premature if you do not go through the Ombudsman first of all.

You can sue for your losses via the website which is easy to use and no lawyer would be required.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you