Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

My travel company cancelled my hotel 2 days before I

My travel company cancelled my hotel 2 days before I travelled abroad, they didn't tell me and the first I knew was the hotel telling me I didn't have a booking.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have written to them sending invoices for hotel, after 28 days wrote to TTA, they have since said they have cancelled Truly Travel membership! I have written again to Truly Travel and they keep adding 14 day or 28 days for them to come back to me, this happened 3rd September 2021.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Truly Travel partly refunded the payment we made but we obviously had to pay extra as no discount. We were told by citizens advice we could claim for cost of holiday too.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

If a phone call is not required then please ignore phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the above.

Could you please confirm if you purchased a holiday package( air ticket and hotel)

Any reasons given by the travel company for cancelling your hotel stay without informing you?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it was a package with Teletext Holidays, neither the flight nor transfer was cancelled. I have a copy of the email they sent to the hotel but they didn't contact me at all. I had to ring them numerous times on the evening and the next morning to ask why, the hotel also rang them.

So, the hotel got cancelled by the travel company?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
they cancelled

Just the hotel and not flights?

You managed to book another hotel ?

You can recover the cost of your stay from the travel company.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No, just hotel? Flights and transfers were fine
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We stayed at the hotel we booked but had to pay daily until the travel company partly refunded us. But had to pay extra as we had no discount and still haven't been paid for the extra.

You can recover the alternative hotel cost from the travel company.

Whatever extra ( monetary loss) you suffered can be claimed back from the travel company.

If the company fail to refund you, then you are well within your rights to initiate small court claim.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They are not trying to resolve this.

You need to send a letter before claim to the travel company, asking for the refund within 14 days .

If they still fail to process the refund, then you can start your court claim online using the below link-

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

You can use below template letter to use as your letter before claim-

Letter before small claims court claim

[Your address]

[Supplier's address]

Dear

Reference: [a single sentence summing up your claim]

As it has not been possible to resolve this matter amicably, and it is apparent that court action may be necessary, I write in compliance with the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct.

[Provide a summary of the facts of the dispute]

From you I am claiming [state what you want from the party you are claiming from]

I have calculated this sum [state how you have calculated the amount being claimed]

Listed below are the documents on which I intend to rely in my claim against you:

[List the key documents that you will need to use to prove your claim]

In accordance with the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct I would request that you provide me with copies of the following documents:

[List any documents you want from the party you are claiming from]

I can confirm that I would be agreeable to mediation and would consider any other system of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in order to avoid the need for this matter to be resolved by the courts.

I would invite you to put forward any proposals in this regard.

[Alternatively you can set out details of any ADR scheme that you are prepared to use]

In closing, I would draw your attention to paragraphs 15 and 16 of the Practice Direction which gives the courts the power to impose sanctions on the parties if they fail to comply with the direction including failing to respond to this letter before claim.

I look forward to hearing from you within the next 14 days.

Should I not receive a response to my letter within this time frame then I anticipate that court action will be commenced with no further reference to you.

Yours faithfully,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I think we will have to do that. Do that. I will write to them again and then start court claim from your link. Thank you

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.