james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Do you believe if a church group (christian), of which I am

Do you believe if a church group (christian), of which I am a member, tell me I should not date a non Christian, and they impose any sanctions/ restrictions on me, that would breach any equality act laws ? There are church members who co-habit but are not married.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Non, the church group are adding pressure(through private meetings with her) to my girlfriend to stop our relationship. She is distressed and feels they are threatening her with consequences such as expulsion from the church (they never enquired if I was a Christian either!) I have advised her to obtain policy and so on, but so far neither of us have found it or been passed it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: They have applied pressure to others before, and another women appears unhappy. My girlfiend wondered if it constituted spiritual abuse. My girlfriend is currently married (5 years seperated from an abusive relationship)
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

There is nothing illegal in you seeing, dating or any other type of relationship with whom ever you wish.

It makes no difference what other religion, race or gender the person is.

You need to decide what is important you you. Your partner who you are obviously  keen in, or a narrow minded religious group who feel that they can control you and tell you who you can  and cannot see.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am asking, is the church group, by putting pressure on my girlfriend and I to break up because of religious reasons (which neither of us want that) likely committing an offence under the equality act? Thanks
it is discrimination and they should know better.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.