frantzgregory
frantzgregory,
80411141

My new neighbour has just told me they are removing their

Hi, my new neighbour has just told me they are removing their chimney. I am in a semi detached house with my wall and chimney joining theirs. Can they just do this and if so how will it effect me? Kind regards, ***** *****
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, I didn't know what to do, and they keep saying he's a structural engineer so there won't be a problem, but I am concerned
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that I am aware of. They have just moved in and just told me this is what they are going to do. They want to start work on Saturday, but having read certain things I am now concerned that it may aff. affect my property, bplus I won't be able to use my gas fire and further it will affect my near future sale!! They haven't even looked in my loft where I can see my chimney breast continuing into my roof

Hello, thank you for contacting JustAnswer. I will be assisting you with your question  I appreciate that it is important that you find the appropriate answer as soon as possible.
Please note that my support on this site is for general information only and there is no intention to create a legal relationship. I will do my best to answer your question in the best possible way, I would kindly ask that you give me a moment to review your question and I will revert to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.

Is their chimney separate from yours?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No

You share one chimney?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
it's a double chimney stack for our joint wall

If this is the case they cannot remove the chimney without you agreeing to it. If they insist you will need to apply to the court for an injunction preventing this.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
OK, thank you

You welcome