How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2277
Experience:  10 years legal experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
John is online now

I paid for a company to fully insulate my loft and put pvc

This answer was rated:

Hi, I paid for a company to fully insulate my loft and put pvc facias on my house I have since found out that they have not insulated my loft and the guttering they have put up is all leaking and not straight so water is building up in the corner. I have messaged him but have been ignored 3 times can I try and get my money back ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in Newcastle upon Tyne
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: he went to my mams to fix her fence and he had told her twice he’s going to come here both occasions never showed I have asked for my invoice and asked him to come and look at the work and twice Iv been ignored. Iv also messaged for my money back and he’s blocked my number
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He hasn’t provided an invoice or receipt even though Iv asked twice for it

Hello, how are you? Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is***** am a
solicitor and I will be assisting you today. Please note there may
be delays in responding as I am away helping other customers but I will get
back to you as soon as I can.  I may also
need to ask you some clarifying questions to determine the legal position.

John and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks John that’s okay

Thanks for your message, I appreciate it is important to you.

Sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced. You should report the
company to Trading Standards

They are in breach of your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 in
that they have not performed a service with reasonable care and skill. You can
therefore take court action.

What you
need to do is write them a formal “Letter Before Action”. In this letter you
will need to state the amount you are seeking to recover and the reasons why.
You will also need to give them a deadline to raise the payment by, usually it
is 14 days in which to receive payment.

If payment is not received within 14 days, then you will need to issue a
claim against them in the small claims court. You can do this by visiting this

Or you can do it by post by using form N1 which you can find here and
posting it to:

County Court Money Claims Centre

PO Box 527


Greater Manchester

M5 0BY

I attach a template letter you can use, which you will need to edit and
tailor to your situation.

I hope this helps. Thank you again for
visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything
or if you have any additional questions. I am happy to help.