GabrielP428
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
112518128

I intend to make silicone moulds from model cars. I then

I intend to make silicone moulds from model cars. I then intend to use these moulds to create candles, chocolates, and soaps in the shape of the car used. I am wondering where I stand legally on using models of real-life cars to create these products that I intend to sell as a part of a business. Would I be infringing on any copyright/intellectual property laws? I would assume I would not be able to sell them using the name of their real-life counterpart make and model. I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you
JA: Is this about an invention, a design, or an artistic work?
Customer: design
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am a solicitor in the uk
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Gabriel, thank you for taking the time to read my question.
Mass produced functional items like cars aren't subject to copyright. But you could be violating or trademark law. It's mainly the named and logos that are trademarked, but sometimes also distinctive non-functional details
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
That’s good news. If no names or logos are used and no distinct non-functional details are used (I’ll do my research from car to car) would I be safe to continue with this plan?
I intend to use completely different names, however, where would I legally stand if I labelled a product
“‘Ford Focus’ style soap”
Would I get any leeway with using the word “style” or is it advisable to avoid names all together? Thank you
If no name, logo and so on are used you will be fine using the name with the word "style", for instance.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just to make sure I understand, using the name with the word “style” is safe?
as long as you don't use logos and no distinct features.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Great. So for the vast majority of cars there won’t be any unique non-functional features to be concerned with, even if the soap/candle/chocolate is easily identifiable as a certain make or model, there has to be a unique non-fictional feature that has been copyrighted by the manufacturer? Have I got that right?
that is correct
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Excellent, thank you very much for all of your help.
Thank you for using our service. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me