Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I need some assistance on a defamation letter before action

Customer Question

I need some assistance on a defamation letter before action case please. I am looking for a very experienced defamation barrister to assist me on this forum.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I am a non practicing Barrister and former police detective who is pursuing a ‘scammer’. I received the letter and must respond by 13th May. I know the main content - just need some clarification on what ‘evidence’ I need to include, rather than what they want.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have some specific questions for you which I need you to consider before you reply.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Can you confirm as requested you are a defamation specialist
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
For example, I am being asked to provide screenshots of Trust pilot reviews I intend to rely on. Rather than provide screenshots of every one- which is practically impossible, I just sent to refer them to ALL of the 1 star reviews which I am using. There is not one review, all of them are relevant to my justification.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

I understand you have sent an letter before action and have been asked to provide evidence you want to rely on

A letter before action is just that - a letter.

You do not and are not required to provide evidence.

That would be if a claim was issued and the Judge gave directions.

You can refer them to the link on Trustpilot and then say they are the 1 star reviews and give some example dates of reviews.

That is all you need to do.

You are not required under the LBA to provide screenshots or evidence at this stage.

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Jamie, thanks for the replies. This is helpful ! So, I have one follow up question.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Sure.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They make reference to a previous ‘open dialogue, e mail setting out their request for particulars as being the first letter before action which it clearly wasn’t as it was at my request and no undertakings demanded as now. Given they have out of the blue made those demands in their Letter before action, I assume I can ignore their original request for information.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Apologies, I have received a letter before action not sent one. Just saw your first response.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Ah ok - then the LBA doesnt need to include evidence. You can ask and say if they refuse you will bring to the attention of a Judge when the issue of costs arsies.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

My pleasure