How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 19854
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have received a self-assesment penalty of 100£. The

Customer Question

I have received a self-assesment penalty of 100£. The problem is I dont have a bussines and my Explorer paid my taxes for last year. During the covid pandemic year I receied confirmation with money received on my name but diffrent account. I believe someone is using my name for a bussines.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stoke on Trent UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just this problem and is stating that if I dont pay they will charge me more
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am afraid that if I am going to pay they will believe that is me who has the bussines wich I dont.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

I understand that you have received a £100 penalty and have never had a business.

I assume this is a HMRC late filing penalty on a tax return.

So regardless of who pays your tax, if you get a tax return then you must complete and send it back

If you do not, you are liable for a penalty.

However, you can appeal a penalty or decision

To do that you can follow the guidance here:

If HMRC sends you a penalty letter by post, use the appeal form that comes with it or follow the instructions on the letter.

For Self Assessment, PAYE, VAT and Corporation Tax, there are extra documents you can use or alternative ways to appeal.

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
My qustion is why do i have to pay penaltiul if my employer paid my taxei?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Yes, unless you appeal the penalty.

I hope that helps