MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My partner got thrown out of his temporary accommodation

Customer Question

My partner got thrown out of his temporary accommodation with 12 hours notice to pack up his 2 bedroom flat with our 2 children he wasn't ever given a tenancy agreement as it was temporary accommodation but he was there for 1 year is this even legal
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ruislip UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: They came and changed the locks so he's now homeless with our 2 children nothing is being done
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In that case, your partner has been evicted. If the council wishes your partner to leave his temporary accommodation, he should be given at least four weeks' notice in writing.

He may be evicted from temporary accommodation for any of the following reasons:

• because your partner has broken a condition of his tenancy agreement
  • because the council no longer has a duty to help him
  • because the council has found him a permanent home.

In that case, your partner can make a new homeless application if he is homeless currently. The council must carry out an assessment and provide emergency housing if he qualifies. The emergency housing could end after a few weeks if the council decides he is intentionally homeless.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also the landlord threw our stuff away that we had told him we will sort storage out he said that's fine then 2 days later said it needs to go now and just as we sorted somewhere to go he had already thrown away most of it is that right?

No, it's not. This would be classed as harassment. In such circumstances, your partner should immediately notify the council of the landlord's actions.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don't have an of that in writing I only have the email stating I had to leave dated the day before we actually left
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The email from the social worker is dated the day before we left but the email from the landlord is dated the day we actually got avicted
I see. In that case, you should notify the landlord's unacceptable actions. Report immediately to your local council.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.