How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4045
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

If we sent you a copy of a Scottish will would you check it

Customer Question

If we sent you a copy of a Scottish will would you check it to see if all is correct because it looks like it's been altered at some stage thankyou
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in South yorkshire England but the deceased lived in Aberdeen Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have been in contact with the executors to clarify the situation regarding property and bank accounts and movable assets but they seem to be out of their depth and not helpful and have instructed my late Mother in laws solicitor to sort out .we have requested to see a copy of the house deeds and have requested bank statements as there was also a Power of Attorney agreed with the son in Scotland that her 2 other children knew nothing about . They won't provide the documents we have asked for as half of the property was apparently signed over to the son in Scotland with a survivorship clause on the deeds but will not show any evidence
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, the daughter has been totally left out of the will which I believe is not allowed in Scotland and really it all just looks a little suspicious with the will alterations etc
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will wait but do need this sorting ASAP thanks
Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  It would be happy to offer a review of the Will, however it will not really be possible to state whether it has been altered or not.  You are correct that unless there is a mutual agreement, a child is entitled to a share of 1/3 of the moveable estate, as the house would be moveable estate it would not be included in this matter.   If you are not an executor or beneficiary of the Will the solicitor has no obligation to provide any of this to you I am afraid.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.