MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My husband applied for divorce but i had until today to

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my husband applied for divorce but i had until today to respond and before i could respond i saw that the application has progressed to final order applied for
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: i'm in kent
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing...i was just about to respond and i can't see the option
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it looks like he has progressed and applied for a final order...this is all happening within 2 weeks of the initial application
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To give you an overview of your enquiry, you will get a divorce petition in the mail if your spouse wants a divorce. Throughout the divorce process, you will be referred to as "the respondent," while your spouse or wife will be referred to as "the petitioner." You have eight days after receiving the petition to return the acknowledgement of service form to the court. If you do not answer within this time frame, the divorce may still be possible.

Actually, there are four ways to respond to a divorce petition:

• Agree with the divorce. If you can decide all of the details with your spouse beforehand, this is the quickest and cheapest option. You should double-check all of the divorce details and then agree to the divorce in the acknowledgement of service form within 8 days.
  • Ask for amendments. If you think some of the details of the divorce are wrong or if the accusations against you are false or inaccurate, you can ask for amendments to be made. To do so, contact your spouse or their solicitor. Once amended, you will then have to follow one of the other steps. There is a £90 fee for amendments to petitions.
  • Defend the petition. If you don’t agree with the details of a divorce, you can defend it. Once you have returned your acknowledgement of service form, you have a further 21 days to explain why you are defending the divorce. This is called giving an answer.

• File for your own divorce. In very complex situations such as a childcare dispute, you may want to petition for your own divorce.

Ultimately, you can respond online here: Respond online

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.