INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I placed a bid for a tender and it was accepted. After it

Customer Question

Hello. I placed a bid for a tender and it was accepted. After it was accepted I realised I made an arithmetical error and the price would be too low to carry out the work. I wanted to withdraw my bid but the construction company stated that sun-contractors could not withdraw their bids after the deadline as it would ruin the overall calculation of the bid.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none, just looking for advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: have I made a unilateral mistake or a breach of contract. I’ve no idea.
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Did you sign an agreement with the main contractor?

What we're the terms of the tender bid?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No signing, just an accepted tender bid.Terms were for a dressing room job within a new sports arena. Bids had to be in before 5pm 31st March 2022. No withdrawals after the deadline as bids were important to the calculation of overall contract bid.
Expert:  INC Law replied 18 days ago.

If there were no terms attached, any withdrawal would be subject to a claim through the courts in a breach of contract basis.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. If I do go with the withdrawal and therefore a breach, am I liable to pay for any damages or will the company likely just discharge the contract ?
Expert:  INC Law replied 17 days ago.
There is a potential they can pursue you for any losses.