MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I just want to make enquiries if I can put in a case against

Customer Question

I just want to make enquiries if I can put in a case against a builder that I employed to do a job
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: We had a contract to complete the job but he works out of the contract after I have paid him
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He didn't complete the job. The quality of the job was bad and he corned me taking my money. He is a cow boy builder
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To answer your enquiry, yes indeed you can.

Normally, if there have been delays in completing building work, you should tell your builder, in writing, that you will cancel the contract unless the work is finished within a stated period. In your letter, you should demand that your builder complete the work within the period you specify - the time stated has to be reasonable and have regard for the terms of any contract.

However, if the builder has still not completed the work within the specified period after you have sent the letter, your next step is to cancel your contract with the builder and state that you will be obtaining estimates from others to complete the work. Once you have obtained these estimates, send another letter to your builder enclosing the estimates you have obtained and indicating which of these estimates you have accepted. The builder should also be told that you will look to him/her to pay the costs when the work is completed.

Next, if the builder refuses to put the job right at no extra expense to you, your next port of call should be to get in touch with the people at Trading Standards. You can check their website here: https://www.tradingstandards.uk/

This regulatory body takes a very dim view of cowboy builders and other rogue traders and will be able to guide you on the correct steps you should take.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks alot for the advise

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.