MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

A couple of years ago my natwest account was closed, UK, I

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: A couple of years ago my natwest account was closed
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I wroye to the financial ombudsman
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was used as a money mule without my knowledge
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

In most cases, if your bank thinks you've been the victim of identity theft, it may close your account to prevent further fraudulent activity.

However, NatWest shouldn’t close your account because of unfair bias or unlawful discrimination. And they shouldn’t usually close an account without giving reasonable notice.

In this case, you can make moves to avoid having your bank close your account. Among them are:

• You should regularly check your balance, especially before making a big payment or writing a sizable check. You can do this online, via a mobile app, or over the phone.
  • Use your account, even infrequently, so it doesn’t go dormant.
  • You should sign up for text or email letters that inform you when your balance dips below a certain amount.
  • You should find out when money that’s been deposited will actually be available. Banks sometimes put a hold on deposits, meaning the money isn’t available as soon as it hits your account.
  • You should not make any payments unless there’s enough money in your account to cover them.
  • You should keep track of when automatic withdrawals are made, such as rent and utility payments.
  • You should switch to an account that doesn’t allow overdrafts to curb overspending.
  • Link accounts so that, if the balance in one drops substantially, money can easily be transferred into it from another account.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I haven’t been able to open an account elsewhere since this incident. I suspect that I was used as a money mule shortly after university. What should I do as I am now a working professional and I’m trying to build up my credit but finding this challenging as I have no direct debits coming out or even a normal bank account
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’d prefer to get advise here

Since you have written to the Financial Ombudsman, what was their decision/conclusion, please?

I understand you have received an offer of a call however you can choose whether to accept it or not. I am happy to continue here on the online chat function.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don’t remember hearing back from them. My NatWest account was closed in 2019

I understand. May I ask what is your ideal outcome to the situation?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’d be able to have a bank account again in order to save, build up my credit and perhaps get a mortgage some time soon. I currently work as a mortgage coordinator and I see how relevant these check are. It’s unfortunate that my account was closed.

Yes, you can certainly apply to have a bank account again. You should just need to take note of all of my advise above - during my initial response.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I’ve made a few attempts to do so but haven’t been able to

I see. Normally, you won't be able to create a bank account if you're bankrupt or have a history of fraud. If you have a bad credit rating, you may also be refused permission to create a current account.

However, you might be able to open a basic bank account if you're bankrupt or have a bad credit rating. If you have a basic bank account you usually:

• don't have to have any money to put in the account to open it
  • don't have to pay any fees
  • can pay your wages, salary, benefits, and tax credits directly into the account
  • can pay in cheques and cash
  • can pay bills by direct debit
  • can withdraw money from cash machines.

You could also contact Money Helper. Money Helper is a free, independent service. You can contact them here: Money Guidance

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.