LawyerDan90
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
111925293

I have got a letter from council for flytipping, I live in

Customer Question

Hi I have got a letter from council for flytipping
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Wallington
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The problem is I am staying with my friend for short stay who recently moved in to wallington 20 days ago. The council usually collects the bin on Monday which we weren’t aware of. As I was cleaning my backpack I threw unnecessary papers in his bin and he threw them on some other day. Council eventually checked the bin and found my papers with my old address
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nope
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The place of short stay and registered address are different
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 17 days ago.
Good Evening, my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.  

I would be grateful if you could confirm if the council has issued a fixed penalty notice? Kind regards

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
File attached (PTMZG7T)
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not sure so I have sent u an image

Ok, the council are investigating at the moment. This means that the Council haven't decided whether they will be charging you with an offence.

It would be advisable to get in touch with the council as soon as possible. I presume you would be looking to defend if you are charged. The simplest defence would be that it has been committed by someone else but this means telling the council it was your friend. If there is any CCTV in the area this may assist.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What would be the case if I explained them that it was my friend. Or what would happen if I deny the letter saying I am unaware of how the letter is found on the bin.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Kindly let me know

They would probably charge your friend or investigate the claim against them.

If you deny any knowledge the council would simply continue the investigation and decide whether to charge you. This would probably be weaker to argue as it is your letter they have found.

Kind regards,

Daniel