james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I need some advice regarding a familu member owing me a lot

Customer Question

Hi, i need some advice regarding a familu member owing me a lot of money family
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: north wales
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: its my brother who owes me money and refusing to pay me back
Expert:  james bruce replied 16 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

How much is owed?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
163;25000.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Over 4 years. I lent him money on many occasions. He was in debt and drug problems at the time. He kept saying when he start his new job he pay me back. But didnt, then would say after xmas he pay me back then didnt. He did then pay £50 here and there for a few months. Then stopped. I had to get in touch with him asking what had happened to re payments. He told me he was skint and needed pay debts off, so he can build his credit up to get a mortgage so i have to wait, he said he will let me know when he can afford to pay me and not to ask him again
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He has a really good job working away steel fixing, hes bringing home close to £1000 a week wage
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are you still there?
Sorry for the delay.

Over what time period has he borrowed?

How may years are you talking ?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Around 4 years
Then if they will not pay, the first thing to do is send them a formal "letter before claim"

This is a required letter before you can Strat legal action.

It sets out your claim, what it is for, the amount and gives s date to repay by and if they don't, then legal action would be started against them to recover the debt.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
you think I would win the case in court?

If you have proof that you loaned the money and it was not a gift ie just given to him yes you could win.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have bank transfers proof, also text messages asking me to lend him the money and him promissing me when he was supposedly going to pay me back

Then that is fine, you have good proof that the money was a loan, so you should be successful if you have to go to court.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Could you send me like a draught of a letter i need to send him? Do i make a copy of the letter?
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

I have attached a template you can use.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much

your welcome.