Maurizio
Maurizio,
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I’m having trouble getting a refund from a private dental

Customer Question

Hello, I’m having trouble getting a refund from a private dental clinic in London. I’m planning to file a section 75 claim with my credit card provider but is there anything else I can do to push them for a refund? I cancelled the treatment I had booked and I paid in full upfront. The 21 day window they say to allow for a refund finished at the end of April.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I haven’t. I live in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: chased the clinic for a refund multiple times
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i don’t think so
Expert:  Maurizio replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  Maurizio replied 18 days ago.

Hello.

Expert:  Maurizio replied 18 days ago.

When did you book/paid for the treatment and when did you cancel it? The exact dates please.

Expert:  Maurizio replied 17 days ago.
Hello.

Could you please provide the clarification requested?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello, apologies for the delay. I booked and paid for the treatment on 28/10/21 and I requested to cancel on 23/03/22. I should point out that I was initially booked in to have the treatment at the end of Jan, the cancelled 2 days before. I rebooked for beginning of March, they cancelled the week of the appointment. I booked again for April but then decided I didn’t want to proceed after such poor service and finding out they had fake 5 star reviews on trustpilot.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
they cancelled 2 days before the Jan app
Expert:  Maurizio replied 17 days ago.

Hello.

Did you book the treatment online?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Over the phone
Expert:  Maurizio replied 17 days ago.

You say that you had 21 days to cancel to get a refund.

Where did you take that information from?

Expert:  Maurizio replied 16 days ago.

As you paid by card, raising a chargeback claim, based on your dispute with the clinic, to have the payment transaction reversed, could be the "quickest" option, but there is the risk that your claim could be late, having regard to the date of the payment.

If you are objected that the chargeback claim was raised late, you should emphasise that the issues with the clinic surfaced after their cancellation of the appointment, which happened only in January, therefore the deadline for the claim should not run from the date of the payment transaction (please note that there is no certainty that the bank/card provider will accept this).

In addition to that, you should formally complain to the clinic, or, if you have already done it and your complaint was rejected, you should escalate it to an association of which they are members or to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman where applicable (https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/).

In the complaint, you should emphasise that you had to cancel because the clinic cancelled multiple appointments and, after that, you found the negative reviews on TrustPilot.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish.

Regards.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help, I have included your advice in my covering letter to the credit card provider
Expert:  Maurizio replied 11 days ago.

You are welcome.