LawyerDan90
LawyerDan90, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
111925293

Lanlord wants more money for rent and I'm not agree, I'm

Customer Question

Lanlord wants more money for rent and I'm not agree, I'm living with my wife on this flat over 5 years and we have a new born baby,
What are the best options for us,
And I have to mention we never miss a payment of the rent
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hi there and thank you for your time
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We live on Hazel Grove Stockport
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We live on Hazel Grove Stockport
Expert:  LawyerDan90 replied 17 days ago.
Thank you for your question my name is ***** ***** I am a Solicitor.

please confirm, are you a private tenant or a social housing tenant?

Also, how has your landlord communicated the proposed rent increase to you ie verbally or in writing?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Daniel, I really need some help last few days it was very stressful and today I have to meet the landlord for one more chat about the situation
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He just text me about that and a reply him very gently I can afford to raise my rent and he still insist for a chat today later
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
We are a private tenant

Ok i will try my best to help. Please be assured that unless your rental contract has an agreed rent review provision then your landlord cannot automatically increase rent as to do so would be a breach of contract

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks you for your time,
I have to mention we not have any contact an this flat, we use to have a contract with him on different flat, but on currently flat we not have a contact we just pay monthly the rent without missing a payment for years
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I'm so sorry because we can't speak at phone but I'm afraid £44 are to much for my budget

I would recommend being honest about your financial situation and reminding your landlord you do not agree to the rent increase

have you contacted yet citizens advice yet ?

I would recommend that you contact the citizens advice who can help you prepare a letter to your Landlord if they continue to put pressure on you regarding rent

i do hope that this advice assists you. Daniel