How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7551
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

I was due a council tax rebate. Since my partner left In

Customer Question

I was due a council tax rebate. Since my partner left In June 2020 I have been overpaying my council task and paying the wrong amount. I have finally heard from them after 32 days, they have admitted that they owe me a rebate but refused to give it me back as a lump sum. They are just reducing my bill each month, however if I leave the area they will pay me back a rebate sum of what is left over.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Nottingham city.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I’m Solicitor4All, a law Expert with over 15 years of experience practice. Thank you for the enquiry. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.
Tha k you for your patience. If you did not apply for the single occupant discount you will unfortunately not be entitled to a back dated rebate. It would not be as of right but you would need to appeal to the council’s discretion if you are suffering extreme financial difficulty as a result and even in those circumstances a realistic expectation would be up to a year and not the whole period. If you did apply on time and they have taken the 2 years processing your request then you can insist on wanting a full rebate for the whole period since your application :
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am always glad to assist you and to clarify anything. All the best.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for your message. That’s absolutely fine.
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 15 days ago.

You are welcome