RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

Second opinion] i was involved in an RTC and sustained a

Customer Question

second opinion] Hello
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i was involved in an RTC and sustained a brain injury which ended my career as a Band 6 nurse. I have memory problems, difficulty with reading text and making calculations. I receive industrial injuries benefit and PIP . My life has changed radically and I have experienced bankruptcy eviction from my home and abuse from a neighbour which resulted in him being successful ly prosecuted by the police for harassment. The past seven years have been quite difficult but I’m learning to live with a much reduced lifestyle and expectations of how my day to day life now us. I’ve been invited to bec a member if the parish cOUNCIL in the village that I now live in. I was a parish counsellor in the village I lived in prior to the accident but I had to give up because just so much was going on in my brain literally could not cope with it. I would like to do something for my community although I am very limited in my abilities having discussed it with members of the parish council they feel that it would be worth me giving it a go and if I can’t manage then I can retire gracefully however my main concern is that if it is seen that I am managing with help to be a member of the parish council that my benefits could be stopped on the grounds that I am managing to do something more complicated than I am generally able to do for any length of time I wondered if somebody at the CAB could offer me opinion on this please?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I apologise if this is difficult to follow I’m reading to type text and it’s moving faster but I can manage to re-read it and make any corrections… part of my problem I live in the UK I haven’t hit the money to consult a solicitor
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Only to contact the CAB
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: A friend who was quite senior in the DWP suggested one can be in receipt of benefits and disabled such as a quadriplegic Without losing benefits if offering services to the community but they didn’t know what the position might be if it was a voluntary position that involved intellect rather than physical activity i don’t think so Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello.I use dictate to text so my punctuation isn’t always as it should be.I apologise for any difficulties you may have in reading what I write.In 2014 I was involved in an RTC and sustained a brain injury which ended my career as a Band 6 nurse.I have memory problems, difficulty with reading text and making calculations. I have balance problems and processing problems. With a lot more time than would be required under normal circumstances, on a good day m, when I am well rested, I can occasionally manage some of the activities I used to take part in regularly.Since the collision my life has changed radically. I have experienced bankruptcy, eviction from my home and abuse from a neighbour which resulted in him being successful prosecuted by the police for harassment; consequently the past seven years have been quite difficult but I’m learning to live with a much reduced lifestyle and expectations of how my day to day life will now be.I’ve recently been invited to become a member of the parish council in the village that I now live in.I was a parish counsellor in the village I lived in prior to sustaining a brain injury but, I had to give up my seat because just so much was going on in my life that my brain literally could not cope with everything.I would like to return to doing something for my community, although I am considerably limited in my abilities.Having discussed my circumstances with members of the parish council they feel that it would be worth me giving it a go… and if I can’t manage then I can retire gracefully.However, my main concern is that if it is seen that I am managing , albeit with considerable help, to be a member of the parish council, that my benefits could be stopped on the grounds that I am managing to do something outside of my home. Although doing this would not be very taxing or complicated than and the length of time involved would be in no way comparable to being in a work place situation.I wondered if somebody at the CAB could offer me opinion on this please?I apologise if this is difficult to follow I’m reading to type text and it’s moving faster but I can manage to re-read it and make any corrections… which is one of my problems.A friend who was quite senior in the DWP suggested one can be in receipt of benefits and physically disabled , such as a quadriplegic, without losing benefits if offering services to the community but… they didn’t know what the position might be if it was a voluntary position that involved a level of intellectual disability ( the level of which which has been very difficult to get a formal agreement about) rather than a physical disability.The Parish Council chairman and clerk are aware I will need more time than others to read information and form opinions.I think I failed to make it clear to the previous legal advisor that no payment is involved in being a member of a parish council so income in relation to my means tested benefits does not concern me.My concern, which is the issue I really need an answer to please is whether taking part in something that occurs once per eight weeks and requires me to spend much more time than my fellow parish councillors reading text slowly to myself,or, possibly needing information to be read to me (depending upon how I am on any given day) and then sharing an opinion about the matter in hand, might be considered by the DWP to suggest I no longer have brain impairment sufficient to prevent me from working?I would appreciate any advice you can offer me please.
Kind regards,
Cate
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 8 days ago.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello.
I have recurved further advice, thank you.
I think I may not have made my major concern clear to the first advisor.I was told my £1:00 would be returned to me ... I’m not particularly concerned to receive it but… how do I withdraw from the site so that I will not be charged £50:00 per month please?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
HelloI use dictate to text so my punctuation isn’t always as it should be.I apologise for any difficulties you may have in reading what I write.In 2014 I was involved in an RTC and sustained a brain injury which ended my career as a Band 6 nurse.I have memory problems, difficulty with reading text and making calculations. I have balance problems and processing problems. With a lot more time than would be required under normal circumstances, on a good day m, when I am well rested, I can occasionally manage some of the activities I used to take part in regularly.Since the collision my life has changed radically. I have experienced bankruptcy, eviction from my home and abuse from a neighbour which resulted in him being successful prosecuted by the police for harassment; consequently the past seven years have been quite difficult but I’m learning to live with a much reduced lifestyle and expectations of how my day to day life will now be.I’ve recently been invited to become a member of the parish council in the village that I now live in.I was a parish counsellor in the village I lived in prior to sustaining a brain injury but, I had to give up my seat because just so much was going on in my life that my brain literally could not cope with everything.I would like to return to doing something for my community, although I am considerably limited in my abilities.Having discussed my circumstances with members of the parish council they feel that it would be worth me giving it a go… and if I can’t manage then I can retire gracefully.However, my main concern is that if it is seen that I am managing, albeit with considerable help, to be a member of the parish council, that my benefits could be stopped on the grounds that I am managing to do something outside of my home. Although doing this would not be very taxing or complicated and the length of time involved would be in no way comparable to being in a work place situation.I wondered if somebody at the CAB could offer me opinion on this please?I apologise if this is difficult to follow I’m reading to type text and it’s moving faster than I can easily manage to follow, re-read and make any necessary corrections… this is also one of my problems.A friend who was quite senior in the DWP suggested that one can be in receipt of benefits and physically disabled , such as a quadriplegic, without losing benefits if offering services to the community but… they didn’t know what the position might be if it was a voluntary position that involved a level of intellectual disability (the level of this has been very difficult for me to get a formal agreement about) rather than a physical disability.The Parish Council chairman and clerk are aware I will need more time than others to read information and form opinions.I think I failed to make it clear to the previous legal advisor that no payment is involved in being a member of a parish council so income in relation to my means tested benefits does not concern me.My concern, which is the issue I really need an answer to please is whether taking part in something that occurs once per eight weeks and requires me to spend much more time than my fellow parish councillors working at regarding reading text slowly to myself,or, possibly needing information to be read to me (depending upon how I am on any given day) and then sharing an opinion about the matter in hand, might be considered by the DWP to suggest I no longer have brain impairment sufficient to prevent me from working?I would appreciate any advice you can offer me please.Also…
When I first communicated with the CAB on-line I was directed to this service. I was told I would need to make a payment of £1:00 but assured that my £1:00 would be returned to me... How do I receive confirmation that I have been withdrawn from this site, so that I will not be charged £50:00 per month please?
Kind regards,
Cate
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry to hear about your ailments. However, it may well be the case you are entitled to more benefits than you are aware. The difficulty is that you require to apply for specific benefits to the DWP and wait for the application etc. However, the best thing to do is drop into your local citizens advice bureau (CAB). They can go through your personal and financial position in detail and enter these details into what is referred to as the QBC system. This system will calculate what benefits you are entitled to and how much. The system will also do the entire calculation without contacting the DWP so no other benefits would be affected in doing this calculation. Furthermore, if you are rejected initially for any such benefits, the CAB can help you with the mandatory reconsider (appeal) of the refusal. If this is still rejected but it is believed you have a claim, the CAB can also provide you with representation should you require to go to a tribunal for the matter.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows;

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/ (England)

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/find-a-solicitor/ (Scotland)

https://www.lawsociety.ie/Find-a-Solicitor/Solicitor-Firm-Search/ (Ireland)

https://www.lawsoc-ni.org/solicitors (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. ***** first communicated with the CAB on-line I was directed to this service. I was told I would need to make a payment of £1:00 but assured that my £1:00 would be returned to me... How do I receive confirmation that I have been withdrawn from this site, so that I will not be charged £50:00 per month please?
Kind regards,
Cate
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** afraid the experts have no involvement with fees or membership etc. you would need to speak to the site admin team.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. I can’t find where or how to access the site admin team, can you tell me how to do this please?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 6 days ago.

There should be an option for "contact us" I have a different screen from the customers Im afraid.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’ll try to find that.
Is there a reference I can give to the CAB if I need to go back to them please?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 6 days ago.

If you have dealt with them before they will have a reference for you linked to your data i.e. address and date of birth.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
They directed me here.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 6 days ago.

I am afraid I would not have. copy of the case reference but it will not be hard for them to find.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 5 days ago.

I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.