How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7551
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

A bit of background; ee moved to the UK ehen my daughter wad

Customer Question

A bit of background; ee moved to the UK ehen my daughter wad three. She's lived there ever since. She's had some mental issues (depression) and for thst reason she hasn't worked five yesrs straight.
JA: What type of background check is this exactly?
Customer: For pemsnent recidency after Brexit. She has been deemed "a person from abroad". She has a nearly two year old daughter and recently separated from her partner, the father of her child. She is without any means at all. Unfortunately, l'm not in a position to help her pay her rent and bills.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the background check?
Customer: Because she can't show bills in her name for the past five years, she's been sharing a house first with her brother and then with one of her sisters, and all the bills have been in their name.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She is not entitled to ant benefits, Government or Council, due to her status as " a person from abroad". So she's been left hanging. Is this legal? She's gor medicalrecords and shool/ uni records to prove how long she's been in the UK, but they are not accepted. To me this serms like a vreach of her human rights.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

Hello! I am Solicitor4All, a law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the inquiry. It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for the brief,

Please leave it with me for now, I will respond once done rest assured today. Thank you

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your patience. I am sorry to hear of this. If she was here on 30 December 2020 but not as a full time student I am surprised she could not apply for pre-settled status. She would not get full settled status if she was not exercising her community rights as defined in the EEA regulations but she should have been able to get pre-settled status and if she was habitually resident here could use nhs and her child able to go to school. Some of the benefits are income based and as such if she never worked really she would not have a right to them and this is the same for everyone. If you let me know if she was refused stay under the settled status scheme I will be able to look into the reasons further.

Expert:  Solicitor4All replied 16 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message.  We are always glad to assist and to clarify anything for you. All the best.