How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31619
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I was renting a flat in feltham and I left beginning of

Customer Question

I was renting a flat in feltham and I left beginning of February having a problem getting my deposit back
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Bradford now
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i have been emailing and contacting the agency and they have been telling me different stories everyday
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing I guess
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

I am very sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if you have managed to ascertain whether your deposit was protected within the of the three deposit protection organisations authorised by the government within 30 days of the landlord receiving it please?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am not sure if it was
Expert:  Joshua replied 10 days ago.

thank you. May I confirm if your belief in this respect is based upon having carried out searches online? if not, you can check the three approved schemes using the links on the following page to confirm if the deposit was in fact protected within 30 days or not:

Expert:  Joshua replied 9 days ago.

I'm following up on the above. Without some further information from you as above, I am limited in what I can say on the matter but in the hope it is helpful nonetheless, I will provide you with the following broad answer. If you are able to kindly provide me with the above further information or if you have any further questions generally, I will be delighted to expand on the following - please just reply back to me in this case:

Notwithstanding the above, in general terms the first step would be to consider carrying out a search of the three deposit protection organisations using the link above to see if the deposit is protected and whether it was protected within 30 days of receipt from you.

If it was not, then you would have a claim against the landlord for the return of the deposit together with between one and three times the amount in compensation. If it was, then you can consider raising a dispute with the free arbitration service offered by the organisation with which the deposit is protected. There is usually a time limit of three months in order to refer a matter from the end date of the tenancy.

If you do not wish to use the arbitration service offered by the deposit protection service or the landlord does not wish to do so, then instead, any dispute can be referred to the County courts for determination by either you or the landlord

Expert:  Joshua replied 8 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 8 days ago.
I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 7 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.