Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Do I need to tell my employer what surgery I had, uk, I give

Customer Question

Hi , do I need to tell my employer what surgery I had
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I give them my sick note and HR is demanding information what exactly Was the surgery for
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: don’t think so
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.
I understand your employer's HR is demand to know what surgery you have had. Please tell me how long your sick note is for?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
3 weeks
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Thank you. Please also tell me how long you have worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
7 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

OK I understand. So what reason have they provided for wanting to know about the surgery you had?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Don’t have reasons, just said that information on sick note “post surgery “ it’s not enough, I have told them that was women thing and she asking more details exactly what I had
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing this information. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day. The system will notify you when this happens. Many thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

The employer cannot force you to disclose exact details of the surgery you have had, especially if it is of a personal nature. You can keep details general and only provide those which provide a general explanation of why you were off, and also anything which would be relevant to your job and may affect your health and safety there, or have a direct impact on your ability to do your role.

Any other details do not have to be disclosed as you still have a right to privacy, especially when the reasons are very personal and you do not want others to know about them, apart from having a general understanding of what they were.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you very much for your assistance and huge help. You make me feel better, have a great day
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have, please see the conversation and guide me what to do next
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (3GP1Z2T)
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Simply stating ‘surgery’ is probably not enough, so you need to be a more detailed in your explanation, without necessarily going into exact details.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have told them it’s a woman thing and still not enough
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

They cannot force you to provide further details. In the end you need to state that you had surgery for personal gynaecological reasons, which do not impact your ability to do your job, apart from when you are off and that you have the right to privacy and not go into full detail about the procedures that you had done.