How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31740
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now

I was wondering how to legally change ones name, uk, i was

Customer Question

i was wondering how to legally change ones name
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: i was wondering how to start the process
JA: The Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

May I confirm if you are seeking to change your name following marriage or divorce please?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no i never married before
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
will the process cost £44 or is that the cost of the phone call
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

  1. thank you. So the position is usually wish to change your name out of choice?
  2. do you also wish to change your name in respect of any official documentation such as a driving licence or passport or change your name on a bank account?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i do intent on changing my name on all of my identities
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

thank you. typically, the simplest approach for changing your  name in this regard would be by way of a deed poll which is a relatively simple document expressing your wish to change your name and setting out the name you are disclaiming and the new name you are adopting.

Such a document will allow you to subsequently apply for a new driving licence or passport as applicable and once you have obtained one or the other of the above, you can usually use this as a basis to subsequently change your name another account such as bank accounts and so on.

You can either instruct a local solicitor in respect of preparing a deed poll alternatively, you can use an online service such as the following is an example:

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
how long does the process usually take
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

in terms of actually signing the deed poll, this is usually very quick and can be done in the matter of days if you use an online service such as the above or even the same day if you use a solicitor.

Obvious, from there, obtaining the documents normally be a slower process. Particular for example obtaining a new passport may take some time as the service is relatively stretched at present as you may have read in the news. If you are planning to travel in the next few months, you may wish to delay until after you have travelled so as not to potentially be left without a passport at a time you need it.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

I'm glad the above answers all your questions for now. If you have any follow up questions please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.