How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16352
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

Ben. I own a number of buy to let properties both through

Customer Question

HI Ben.I own a number of buy to let properties both through limited company and in my own name that I let to (generally) commercial customers for periods of 3 to 6 months; however some let’s after a short duration through websites like question is - should I be paying business rates or council tax for these lettings. I’ve heard different opinions from different people, and would appreciate clarification.Kind regards
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Maybe this answers the question:
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 16 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No problem
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for your query.  I am a Solicitor-Advocate in the UK and will be assisting you with your question today.

Would you still like assistance with this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.

In short, business rates will be levied upon the properties.

If the rateable value is below £15000, you may be entitled to business rates relief.

I hope this answers your question.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The thing is when I called the council they said that as my clients are just sleeping there and not running a business from there that it’s council tax I should be paying….
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.
That does not sound right.

I would suggest you contact the Valuation Agency and ask them to pay a visit to the property and let them assess it.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Are biz rates likely to be cheaper than c/t?
Expert:  INC Law replied 16 days ago.

lit would depend on the size of the building.