How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 6013
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My father is applying for an SGO for my daughter and i do

Customer Question

my father is applying for an SGO for my daughter and i do not want this. it is against my wishes
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England, cambridge
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i've phoned different law advice services
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my daughter has lived with my dad for nearly 2 years, no social or anything was involved in this. it was a private decision between myself and my father. i still have constant contact with my daughter though
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read it, and if I do, they will appear in my next response. It is important you answer all the questions I ask, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response.

JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay thats great thank you
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Has your father been advised by social services to get the SGO?

How old is your child?

What does the child's father say about this?  If he is not in the picture, is he named on the birth certificate?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
no he has not, he decided to make it himself. she is 4, 5 in september. my daughters dad is not in the picture and he is not on the birth certificate
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Has a hearing been set yet?

Did he notify the local authority of his intention?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
the hearing has not been set yet. and I'm not sure. i only found out about this a week ago but i think he has
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Have you received any paperwork from court then?

Have social services been in contact with you?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i have not received anything from either. nothing from social or court
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

So he has just told you that he is applying?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
well he showed a police officer. i also know that he had his assessment with social last week though
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Showed a police officer what exactly?

So he has in fact informed social services, but they have not contacted you?  Have you contacted them?

Has your father explained what he is doing and why?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i went to my dads house to get my daughter to bring her home and he was refusing so the police were phoned and when the officer spoke to my dad he showed him paperwork that says hes applied for the sgo and that she is to stay with my dad until its been to court. i have not seen it myself
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
my dad is saying that im not a good mum and that she would be better with them. and yes he has informed social and they have not contacted me. i was planning on phoning them today or tomorrow
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

You said the child had been living with your father for two  years, so why were you trying to remove her?

Also, why is she living with your father - what specific issues have there been to mean that has happened?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i was trying to bring her home because i had been trying since last christmas but my dad kept making excuses as to why she couldnt and then we kept arguing so i just wanted to bring her home and put an end to everything with my dad. she went to live with him temporarily because my mental health was in a bad place and we thought i needed to work on myself so i could be better for her
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

You need to contact the local authority to find out what they have done so far.  You also need to ask your father whether he has applied to court and if so, when the hearing is listed for.

In all honesty, without the information you are just going to be asking questions that no one can answer fully for you.

But what I can tell you is that just because your father has applied for the SGO does not mean he will get it.  A judge has to make that decision, and a judge will want all the evidence first, including any progress you have made and whether you are fit and well to care for the child.  So do try not to worry too much before you manage to gather the information that will guide you as to exactly what has been said.

Unless you are completely unfit, it is unlikely an SGO will be granted, and far more likely that a court will make a child arrangements order.  But as above, that will be a matter for the judge once he or she has seen/heard all the evidence.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
okay that is great thank you. is there anything you would advise for me to get ready or to gather or anything like that?
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

Yes, see your GP/health care professionals, have a chat with them about improvements to your health, and let them know that court proceedings will be starting soon and  you will likely need a letter confirming how your health is.

Ensure your house/flat is all in order - clean, tidy, fridge/cupboards stocked etc., as social services will no doubt be around to do a check on you at some point.  This is not said to be insulting to you, more because these are the things they look at when someone has had issues looking after their kids.  The same goes for your own appearance.

This is about you presenting the best place for your child to be, as the court, as a matter of priority, considers the child's best interests, not just what the carers want.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Okay that’s great thank you so much
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 16 days ago.

You're very welcome.

Glad I could assist.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or, once you have rated this question you will be able to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. When you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law. 

All the best!

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 15 days ago.