How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 77784
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Ana here I do not know how to claim benefit related to my

Customer Question

Hello Ana here I do not know how to claim benefit related to my health issues. I already have letter from Gp confirming obstructive pulmonary disease and astma . I do not know what are the steps to receive extra financial support . I had to move job from full time to part time
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London Colindale
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: only letter from Gp
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thank you
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Have you contacted anyone about this yet? I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No contact so far worth anyone yet
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.
Thanks. When did you move to part time work?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

And is that likely to be temporary or permanent?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

What Government benefits a person is entitled to will very much depend on their personal circumstances and there are various factors which are taken into consideration. As all of these interplay with each other in various ways to determine their eligibility, it is best to go through an online benefits calculator, which would take all relevant factors into consideration.

The most commonly used calculators are the following:

The following details wilk be required to get an answer through these:

- savings

- income, including your partner’s

- existing benefits and pensions (including anyone living with you)

- outgoings (such as rent, mortgage, childcare payments)

- council tax bill

Once the results have been determined, there will be details on what may be claimed and how.

The alternative is to approach your local JobCentre Plus, which can discuss benefits with you and what the options are:

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.