How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 81717
Experience:  Over 15 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have 2 speeding fines which I am being charged £350 for

Customer Question

I have 2 speeding fines which I am being charged £350 for when I have appealed them already. I had received one and tried to book a speeding awareness course however there was none available. I had paid the second fine off and then I received a letter trying to charge me for both. I can’t afford the fine as I am experiencing financial hardship as I’ve had to relocate and live with parents, move jobs etc. the speeding offence occurred whilst I was working as a home care worker under massive pressure from work because of understaffing. Is there any help I can get?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North east england uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have appealed the fines and I had £100 refunded. Then I have received a letter stating I owe them £350 and I have come to you for advice
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: That’s all
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.
On what grounds did you appeal them please
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I appealed them because I had already paid one off and the other one I was trying to get onto a speed awareness course but none were available in my area or online . I also put in the mitigating comments that I was a home care worker and under pressure at work, spending a lot of time driving
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

It depends if you want to contest this. If you want to contest it, then this would be a bad idea because you will admit the offence.

If you never intend to deny it, an apology wouldn’t be a bad idea. They may exercise their discretion in your favour.

This would tend to suggest that you were prosecuted in absence and convicted.

You have not successfully appealed just because they refunded £100. All that means is that the fixed penalty had to be refunded probably because you didn’t accept it.

You should not be ignoring this. It has not gone away.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 14 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.