plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have inherited a property which I currently reside in.

Customer Question

I have inherited a property which I currently reside in. Does this mean I am no longer a first time buyer and therefore are liable to pay stamp duty for a property purchase I am hoping to undertake ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no steps at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no thank you , just the above
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

I’ll review and come back to you as soon as I can.

Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Can you please clarify - are you looking to move into the new property or is this a second home/ investment property?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will be moving into the new property
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It will be a second home as my mother will continue to live at the inherited property
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Thank you for that information. You will not be counted as a first time buyer I'm afraid. You will pay SDLT at the normal rate.

For any queries or questions about stamp duty relevant to your specific purchase, you can also contact the SDLT helpline, here: 0300(###) ###-####/strong>

Is there anything more I can clarify for you today?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 17 days ago.

Happy to help today.

Thank you for your enquiry. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.