MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

In septembe r 2021 I was stoped by police,în

Customer Question

Hello,my name is***** septembe r 2021 I was stoped by police,în Peterborough,Lincon Road,and they told me that the policy insurance of my car is not valid,and send my case to Court!
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live în Peterborough,England,I did'nt speak with layer,but I have the prof of valid insurance policy!
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I call the insurance company,and they send me the prof of validiy for that period,but I don't now how to send to the Court,this document!
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No!
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I will go to Court on 6th of june!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

To give you an overview of your enquiry, if you drive a vehicle, you are required by law to obtain at least third-party motor insurance. If you park it on the street, in your driveway, or in your garage, you must have insurance.

By using the Motor Insurance Database, the police can check if your car is insured on the scene. If it isn't, they can seize it right away, even if you obtain insurance on the side of the road.

Legally speaking, third-party insurance is the bare minimum you need. It will cover you if you’re deemed responsible for a road accident that causes injuries to others or damage to their property.

Generally, police have number plate recognition cameras, so they’ll know whether a car is insured or not. If you’re stopped and asked to present your documents, you have seven days to provide the police with an up-to-date insurance certificate. It has to be valid at the time you were stopped - you can’t just buy insurance during that seven-day period.

In this case, if you think you do have a valid cover, check your policy carefully as there could be an error on it. And if you find your policy has been cancelled without your knowledge, you may have a defence. You’d only be guilty of driving without insurance if the insurance company had taken reasonable steps to notify you of the cancellation.

When you have to give evidence, and you have made a statement to the police, the prosecutor or the defence will give you a copy of your statement beforehand so that you can read over it and refresh your memory. When you go to court be prepared to wait a while before you are called into the court to give evidence.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When I bought the car I was living in Maidstone,Kent,then I've moved in Peterborough but I did'nt change the adress on the policy,so I think that is de reason ,they send my case to the Court!

Yes, I agree. Your situation will also benefit by getting a solicitor to represent you during the proceedings. Would you like me to provide details on how to locate one close to your home address?

You can find a local solicitor at the following link https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.