How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7245
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My sister is power of attorney but I also signed the

Customer Question

My sister is power of attorney but I also signed the paperwork, I think she is abusing my fathers monies and spending it on herself and her daughters, can I ask to see his bank statements to prove it?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Seaton, Devon
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that’s it
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thank you. I’ve been quiet with the family for over a year about this but now I feel I have a right to know
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I can’t call you for £44 as I am on benefits and with the utilities and my rent gone up I can’t afford more then the £5
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Yes, if you also hold power of attorney, you can insist on seeing all bank statements. I fact you are advised to do so as you are responsible for the person.

If your sister is abusing her power, stealing money form thr person etc, you can report that theft to the police and also contact the court of protection and have her removed from holding power of attorney.

She could also be made to repay anything she has taken.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Oh wow! Thanks for that information. I will ask her to provide necessary statements
Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

If she refuses, take a copy of the power of attorney to the bank to show you are also attorney inform the bank what you suspect, they could possibly even block her.

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Expert:  james bruce replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.