How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16730
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I want to sue my landlord over lock issues that we've

Customer Question

Hi, I want to sue my landlord over lock issues that we've experienced 3 times within 2 months. We live on the 18th floor so it's a massive fire safety issue. I just wanted to know whether we have a case to go ahead with.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The landlord has asked for a 27% rent increase as our lease renewal is coming up which we've declined and have mentioned that we'll take legal action for the issues we faced. I have not spoken to any lawyers or gotten any legal advice from anyone so far.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We had a fire incident on our floor but the apartment diagonally opposite us around a week after the last lock issue but luckily we we fine to get out on that day. I've also spoken to a physiatrist about this issue and how it's affected me mentally. The first lock issue was late August 2021 and the door mechanism as replaced in Dec 2021.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

It sounds like there is a case as the landlord has to ensure the property complies with fire safety regulations. Not only that, they have to ensure the property is in a good state of repair or they risk breaching the landlord and tenant laws.

You could notify your local council's housing department as they may issue the landlord with a notice for improvement works which if breached would mean the landlord is fined. The council could do the work themselves or force the landlord to do the works.

As for legal action, I would say based on your question you have a case though we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum) and my view is you should ask a law firm for a no win no fee agreement - so you pay nothing up front and if they firm is successful in recovering damages they take a set percentage. They would pay the court fees and any other disbursements - as they claim those back from the landlord if successful.

Here are a few choices for you if you would like to use a lawyer :

1. Knights Law, tel: 01204 655614, email:***@******.***

2. Stephensons Solicitors, tel: 0161(###) ###-####

3. Duncan Lewis, tel: 0333(###) ###-####

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks Jim, would there be an issue as the landlord is based in Hong Kong and the property is managed by Chase Evans in London?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Also based on your experience how long do you think the process could take and potentially what would the compensation amount look like?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hi there, no, as liability may be passed to the managing agents so I don't see a problem there.

I am not sure how much compensation - it would be loss of enjoyment and you also have a non physical injury too (you mentioned having to see a psychiatrist) so a law firm would have to fully investigate the claim first.


Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok sure, what would this case/claim be filed under? Tenancy despair?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Yes, a tenancy disrepair claim.