Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

We have a individual who is a neighbour to our son on each

Customer Question

we have a individual who is a neighbour to our son on each occasion we visit him he is constantly using his phone to record us
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: netley abbey southampton
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothing other to ignore but it keeps occuring
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

1. I'm very sorry to read of the above. May I confirm if he is recording you whilst on private property or whilst outside on the street for example?
  2. if the former, would this be in the garden, through windows in the property or somewhere else?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
on the street
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
also on road
Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

thank you. There is no general prohibition on taking photos or recording videos in a public place. By contrast, filming someone whilst on private property such as in the garden or through windows of a house would amount to a breach of the data protection act and may also breach various other laws depending upon the extent of recording such as voyeurism laws and nuisance laws.

However, although there is a general basis to record video in the street, to the extent it focuses specifically on new, this could amount to harassment under the protection against harassment act and as such, you could contemplate involving the police as a complaint. Initially, you should consider complaining to the individual themselves that you feel that his behaviour amounts to harassment and certainly is causing you to feel harassed and asked that he ceases and assists taking videos of you. If he ignores this request, then as above, you can consider making a complaint to the police though in this regard you may wish to liaise with your son is clearly you will have to continue to live next to this individual regardless of the outcome of your complaint

Expert:  Joshua replied 17 days ago.

I hope the above is of some assistance but if you have any further questions, please revert to me.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I trust the above was of assistance and that you do not have any follow up questions for now. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though.

Expert:  Joshua replied 16 days ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a favourite Expert. You'll have the option to do that on your "My Questions" page if you choose to rate our interaction or you can request me by name if you wish. Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer and see you again in the future I hope.