MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

What is happening if I don’t leave the private rental flat

Customer Question

Hi , what is happening if I don’t leave the private rental flat after the notice and I am staying one month after the notice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lewisham
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We received just the nottice requiring possion of property
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: we received this notice to leave and we didn’t find something for may and we want to leave in june
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (433LGTT)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We received this notice , in february after we agreed with the agency for 21 May
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Now we find something what is available from 20 June
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
But they don’t want to give us one more month because they are selling the flat
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

The notice is what we called Section 21 Notice. In that case, if you have been served a section 21 notice, your landlord can’t make you leave your home unless they’ve gone to court to get a possession order and a warrant for eviction - this means they can use court bailiffs to evict you. 

Your landlord can only go to court after the date the section 21 notice says you have to leave.

However, if you’ve got a good relationship with your landlord, it might be worth asking them if you can stay in your home for longer. You should send a letter to your landlord explaining your situation and keep a copy of any reply you get. When your landlord goes to court, you might be able to ask the court to let you stay in your home for longer. In that case, you will need to get papers from the court before you can ask to stay in your home for longer.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We kindly ask the agency to let us to stay one more month because with find something from June but they didn’t accept .
I am pregnant as well I don’t know if this helping with something.
So basically without going in court after the 21 May they can’t evict us.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (14526P3)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
this was the answer from the agent
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

I understand. In any case, if you don’t leave your home by the date on your section 21 notice, you’ll get papers from the court.

The papers will include a copy of the form your landlord filled in when they started the claim- this is called the ‘claim form’. The papers will also include a form to tell the court if you disagree with what the landlord has said – this is called a “defence form”.

You will get the court papers because your landlord is taking action to make you leave your home. This is known as starting a possession claim. The court will then decide whether you need to leave your home.

This is your chance to ask the court to let you stay in your home for longer because of your circumstance.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.