How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16702
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I was falsely accused of common assault and affray

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I was falsely accused of common assault and affray Knowingly
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Now police proceedings agaimst me were concluded yoday ending with NFA
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: Today* In london
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I would like to know what can I do to take legal action against this person. Defamation, damages, etc. Can i also take a cri. Inal action against her? Thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

I wouldn't say there is a defamation claim as that requires someone to lie about you to third parties and your reputation is damaged - they reported this to the Police. Unless they posted lies about you online (on social media for example) in which case you could sue them. They would have a defence if what they said was their genuine belief, however.

I would only recommend you sue them if they have the means to pay, otherwise it's a waste of time - you could go to the time and expense of suing them only for them to not be able to pay what is owed.

Damages could be claimed for any stress and harassment - but again, they need money to pay you, or assets to claim against once you sued them successfully.

A criminal action is possible if you bring a private prosecution against them - though you would need a law firm to this (and same for any damages claim - they can check the defendant's means to pay by performing an asset search - lawyers use tracing agencies for this reason).

My view is it may be possible to do both, pursue a damages claim and private prosecution - any of the following firms may be able to do so :





Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JimLawyer.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for a quick reply!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.
My pleasure, thanks
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She's ll
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Noted, thanks - hopefully my answer has helped and is easy to understand, etc. If not please let me know.

Have a good evening.


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there any way i can do it on my own, withiuth a lawyer? At least criminal case agaimst her?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm not really after money tbh. Just to teach her a lesson and stop her doing it again to someone else.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She's my former flatmate and she's lied about that to all my flatmates and the police
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Can I please have the chat emailed to my provided email address-***@******.***. Thank you
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.
Hi, a private prosecution is possible yes. I’m unsure if you can do it yourself as they are difficult cases (the burden of proof is high) but possibly another expert may know more if you want to ask a second opinion (which is no extra charge on this site).