How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1215
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

I am living next to really noisy neighbours banging loud all

Customer Question

I am living next to really noisy neighbours banging loud all night keeping me awake and we have spoken to the highland council and they seem to be doing nothing and we have tried to talk to the neighbours but it seem to go in one ear and out the other and now am getting ill with it when you have to go out the house just to get some quiet time
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No , I live in Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: nothin just suffering
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I am happy to help with your enquiry today.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

As normally, when you raised a complaint to your local council, after you complain, the council will send your neighbour a letter telling them that people have complained but they will not say who has complained.

At the same time, you will be asked to fill out a “noise diary” which logs the time and place you heard the noise and from where it came. Most importantly, the council wants to see how the noise is affecting you. The council will use your noise diary to establish a method of investigating. This might depend on you phoning somebody up who will come round to hear the noise or they might install noise monitoring equipment.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

However, if the noise does not stop after they have warned your neighbours, then the council might suggest mediation. When a warning doesn’t work, or if the council decides mediation is not a constructive route forward, they might take other, official, action.

In the instance, the council agrees with you, and the noise is a deemed a statutory nuisance, the local council can issue an abatement notice which tells your neighbour that unless they stop they will be prosecuted and your noisy neighbours might end up with a fine of £5,000 for domestic premises and £20,000 for industrial or commercial premises.

When the council follows this process, it can take some time, because the council has to establish how much of a nuisance your neighbours are being without living with you all the time.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No that’s it thanks
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 8 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.