Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I am a self employed builder I am in the middle of a job but

Customer Question

I am a self employed builder I am in the middle of a job but I have had to borrow some funding from another job to fund this one but the customer wants me to stop the work and they want the money back but I don’t have it, I can’t get a loan because my credit score is bad
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Lincolnshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve tried to apply for loans on the internet but I don’t qualify because of my credit
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She is constantly messaging me at night messaging my friends and she is threatening me by saying she’s going to the police for stealing
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi Ed, How much is the phone call?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I shall be delighted to speak to you today if you accept the site’s automatic offer.

Any additional charges for a Premium Service Phone Call are displayed with the site’s option.

To decide if you want a Premium Service Phone Call, I am happy to provide my answer by text on the Portal first. Once you have considered my written answer, you may then accept the offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

I have not received a notification that you have accepted a Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

How much is the other party demanding from you?

Are you trading as a limited company or a self-employed sole trader?

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I note that you have not replied to my request for further information.    I shall therefore post a “general answer” to your type of legal issue.  Please revert to me if I am mistaken as to your type of legal issue or if my answer does not fit the facts of your situation and I shall be delighted to amend my answer accordingly.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I sympathise with your predicament, but lack of finances (which lawyers call “impecuniosity”), bankruptcy and even death do not automatically terminate, void, or rescind a contract and none of those external factors are a defence to debt or breach of contract.

I know that it is unfair in the grand scheme of things and I fully understand the mental and emotional turmoil that commercial business disputes, litigation, and bankruptcy cause people but unfortunately the law is very cold and objective in its application.

Having said that, if you inform the other party that you are impecunious to pay the debt and have insufficient cash and assets to pay your creditors if you were made bankrupt, it is unlikely that the other party will go to the time and expense of pursuing you through the court or making you bankrupt as there would be no economic benefit of so doing.

I suggest that you negotiate repayment by instalments with the other party.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you to advise in your best interests.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

LawyerEd

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 15 days ago.

I have put a bespoke offer through on the Portal for a Premium Service Document Review and telephone consultation. The fee is in addition to your ordinary Just Answer subscription. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and mobile phone number through on the Portal and can accept your direct contact details.

I can review a brief amount of documentation from the customers (up to 20 pages or so).

The phone calls generally last around 20 – 30 minutes at most. I will let you know if we are going around in circles and I am repeating myself.

You will not receive any additional documentation from me or Just Answer (apart from payment confirmation).

I will discuss my fees with my main virtual law firm on the call. Under my Just Answer Expert Agreement, I cannot provide Customers any direct contact details or information about my law firm’s charges unless they accept a Premium Service Phone Call.

If you choose to instruct me directly through my law firm, this will be a different contract from yours with Just Answer. I will open a new client-matter for you with my firm and send you retainer documentation in the form of a Client Care Letter and Terms of Engagement.