james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Is this actually legit? Somerset, No steps, Around 12 years

Is this actually legit?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Somerset
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: No steps
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Around 12 years ago I had consensual sex with a 15yr old. I was 18 at the time. He initiated it. And we separate under good terms. Is this something that could be used against me?
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

At the age of 15, he was not legally able to give consent to have sexual intercourse. The age of consent in the UK is 16. Even if he did consent, it does not count due to his age.

Therefore you would be guilty of having sexual intercourse with a minor.

That is a serious criminal offence, and could result in prison and placement on the sexual offenders register.

How close he was to 16 and your age at the time would be taken into consideration although it is still a Criminal offence.

Therefore if he were to report the matter to the police now, you could still be investigated and prosecuted.

Can I assist or clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He was a couple months before 16 and I had just turned 18. We were in a youth group at the time. And they contacted the police. But they said at the time that they saw no reason to prosecute.

Then if the police were informed at the time and a decision made not to prosecute that will be the end of the matter.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.